OverviewTrail Status: Open
Waipukurau — Masterton (2 days, 202km)
- Accommodation, restaurant, takeaways
- There is bike shop in the Ford car dealership, Ruahine Motors, 85 Ruataniwha Street
- 3 Straw Stone Homestay (3km out of town), Ph: 06 858 6587
- Wanstead Hotel, Ph: 06 855 4849
- Waipukurau Holiday Park (under refurbishment at time of writing) Ph: 06 858 8184
- Dairy, accommodation and food
- Duke of Edinburgh Hotel, Ph: 06 855 5266
- Beach Road Holiday Park, Ph: 06 855 5281
- Tavern and accommodation, Ph: 06 374 3504
- General store/café, food, accommodation
- Pongaroa Hotel, Ph: 06 376 2864
- The Village Retreat, Ph: 06 376 2882
- Wild Side Farm Activity Retreat, Ph: 06 376 2500
- Glenross Lodge, Ph: 06 376 7288
- Camping at the domain: 06 375 8440
- There is an enormous range of accommodation available in Masterton.
- Hazeldene is the first accommodation in Masterton as you leave Route 52. A restored 1930’s homestead set on 4 acres of quiet Wairarapa countryside.
- Lansdowne House is an historic property with accommodation and the site of the original vineyard in the Wairarapa. Nearby is Natusch House also in Lansdowne.
- At the intersection of Te Ore Ore Road and State Highway 2 is Mawley Park Motorcamp, which is bordered by the Waipoua River. The main entrance is off Oxford Street just to the right.
- Budget accommodation can be found at the Empire Lodge in Queen Street, central Masterton.
- The most central Masterton accommodation is at Natusch House.
Activities in Masterton include:
- Pointon Heritage Car Collection – all the vehicles have a Wairarapa story behind them
- Genesis Recreation Centre – indoor pools and gymnasium
- The Wool Shed – historic story telling of the Wairarapa’s shearing heritage
- Aratoi Museum of Art & History – a modern gallery with touring exhibits
- Queen Elizabeth Park Paddle Boats – cruise the lake, feed the ducks and spot the eels
- Regent 3 Cinemas – for the latest movie releases
- Hedley’s Books – a traditional old style book store
Restaurants in central Masterton include:
- 10 O’Clock Cookie Bakery – an award winning bakery of fine cakes and pastries
- Cecile in the Park – an excellent restaurant in the middle of Queen Elizabeth Park
- Entice – a very popular cafe adjoining Aratoi and looking across to Queen Elizabeth Park